Monday, February 15, 2016

Busing all around Nottingham!

Hello ducks!
Here in the Nottingham area, the people call each other ducks and it always catches me off guard because it sounds kinda funny!

It was another great and crazy week for us in Nottingham! If I could explain this week in one word it would be BUS 🚌. I feel like we live on the bus, but it is a great way to meet people! Each day it has taken us around an hour and a half to two hours to travel to our area by bus and tram and lots of walking! So we are very anxious to move into our house tomorrow and to live in the area we teach in! Hopefully when we get settled in, things will be less crazy and we won't feel like we're living on the buses! Also, I'm in love with the chocolate here. It's sooo good!

Tuesday was Pancake Day, so we made pancakes in the morning and they were so good! British pancakes are more like crepes and their syrup is way different than maple syrup but it's delicious! We had to leave really early to get to our area and we had an appointment with a part member family in our ward from Hungary! There is definitely a huge language barrier but they are so sweet! We visited more people in the area and then had the best dinner appointment! The sister who fed us used to be a chef and we basically had a Thanksgiving meal!  It was so good! Then we went to wait for a bus outside their house and we waited in the cold for forever and the bus never came! So we walked back to her house to get a ride. They dropped us off about half way since we live so far away and then we got stranded in Nottingham city because there were bus delays, so the sister training leaders we are living with said they could come pick us up. It was quite the adventure! Even though we had lots of delays and were out in the cold we met so many great people who wanted to hear our message and learn more about the church so it all worked out!

Wednesday I had my first zone meeting! The zone leaders asked me to lead everyone in the Missionary Purpose so I had to go up and recite it all on my own and then lead everyone in saying it. Then they had all the new missionaries that came into the mission since the last two transfers, bear our testimonies. The training was really great and this week we get to meet again for a zone conference with President Leppard so I'm really looking forward to that! Then we went and visited the sweetest old lady in our ward! She has a son in law who is Jewish and he was really interested to hear about what we do as missionaries. He's never been interested in our church before but he's been going through a really rough time so he had a ton of questions.  The Spirit was the strongest I'd felt in a long time as we testified that Christ was with him through his trials and could help him. He has a hard time accepting Christ as a Savior because of his beliefs and feels very alone in all of his trials. He said that Christ had sent us there to torment him, so we know he was feeling something too, even if he was wary to let it in. And he invited us to come back which is a huge step for him! His mother in law was like our third companion when we were teaching! She really helped bring the Spirit in and helped us testify of Christ and how we can feel God's love. Then we had dinner at the Stake President's house and they have a daughter leaving on a mission in a few weeks so it was really fun!

Thursday we took NINE different buses to get around all day. The first member we visited is a convert from Iran who LOVES missionaries! Like literally, I've never met someone who loves missionaries sooo much! She has this huge American flag and a whole wall of pictures of the missionaries that taught her and each missionary that has visited her house since. She has numerous photo albums of missionaries and a book where she had us sign our names and where we were from. She asked if we wanted some hot cocoa and then sent us to the kitchen to make it ourselves and then loaded us up on biscuits and chocolates. Then she literally held us captive and wouldn't let us leave until we took ice cream even though we had just had sooo many sweets. We didn't even get two houses away before she called us and begged us to come back soon. We almost missed some appointments because she was so insistent we couldn't leave until we had ice cream. We visited some other members and then had dinner at the Bishop's house. 

Friday we taught a lesson to a man we met last week! We had missed a bus stop so we got off and we had time to wait for another one so we knocked on some doors and he invited us to come teach him! It was a really interesting lesson because he is working on a masters in Theology so he had a ton of really intelligent questions and really wanted to clarify each and every thing we said. We taught him the Restoration and he agreed to read from the Book of Mormon and pray about it so we're excited to follow up with him another day to answer more questions and continue teaching! Friday night for game night the ward was playing volleyball! The elder from Samoa spiked it and it hit one of my fingers and then bounced up and hit my face and cut me so I was bleeding! I thought one of my fingers might be broken for a few days but it's feeling much better now so that's good! 

Saturday we did our weekly planning and then did lots of tracting. We met some amazing people and made some return appointments so that was exciting! The family we had dinner with has a son who just got back from a mission last week in Utah so it was great! He got made our new ward mission leader yesterday and he'll be really great! 

Sunday morning we heart attacked the Sister Training Leaders and gave them some chocolate and when we got done they had heart attacked us too! So the flat had hearts all over for Valentine's Day! We were almost late to church because the tram was down so we had to take a different tram to a bus replacement and then get on the right tram and still walk twenty minutes to church! Relying on public transport is quite the adventure. After church we went to visit a less active family. The missionaries have been teaching the husband for a while and he has cancer. They were so funny and it was great to get to know them and they really opened up to us! We came home and made some dinner and then finished some planning. The when the Sister Training Leaders got to the flat we did some face masks and it was really fun!

We woke up to a little SNOW! So we ran downstairs and had a small snowball fight with what was there! It's already all melted, it really wasn't much, but it was fun to see some snow! 
Hope you all have a fantastic week!
Sister C 

No comments:

Post a Comment